Monday, August 17, 2009

Is Creating Tedious?

A couple of weeks ago, when I described to a friend my latest projects - beadwork using small seed beads, she commented that it seemed "tedious." My gut reaction was NO, but I started thinking further, as I was beading.

Mirriam Webster defines "tedious" as tiresome because of length or dullness : boring.


Bead work involves taking several hundred beads and organizing them in some kind of pattern. I can see how that can fall under the above definition of tedious, very repetitious and long. However I enjoy it, partly because it gives me a chance to think as I'm working. There is also the satisfaction of the act of creation. I am organizing a mass of beads (2 pictures below) into something that looks nice, creating order out of chaos (top and last pictures). I am participating with the Lord, my creator!

This is also true of other crafts, such as counted cross stitch.





In fact, when I'm away from a project, I feel compelled to go back to it. I can't wait!
It can be looked at as being tedious, but there's a satisfaction in the end, akin to scratching that bothersome itch!

2 comments:

  1. Truly tedious=watching sitcoms for hours on end with nothing to occupy my hands. I'd MUCH rather engage my hands and think or listen or watch a Nova production than engage neither my hands nor my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess nothing is truly tedious if you enjoy it and that all depends on your personality. I like what you created, but I doubt I'd have the patience for it - glad you do!

    ReplyDelete